Electrical Fire Safety Tips for your home

According to Electrician.com.au Electrical fires require a special kind of fire extinguisher to be doused. Water is unsafe to use because the electricity in the fire can be conducted to anything that the liquid touches. This means anyone who gets wet can get electrocuted as well. Fortunately, electrical fires can be prevented. In this post we will explore some suggestions.

Safety tip #1-Avoid overloading power outlets

Overloading the electrical power outlets can result in home and office fires, endangering lives and causing damage to your property. Here are a few tips:

  • Do not overload power boards
  • Place power boards on sides to prevent dust build up in unused points
  • Ensure power boards have adequate ventilation
  • Regularly inspect power boards and leads for signs of damage and degradation

Safety Tip #2-Use appliances that meet safety standards

The price of your electrical appliance doesn’t guarantee its safety and quality. Instead, stick to devices that have been tested to meet safety guidelines.

Safety Tip #3-Have a safety switch installed

Safety switch installation is your protection against electric shock. A safety switch is designed to prevent injury or death.

Safety Switches monitor the flow of electricity through a circuit. It detects a problem as soon as the current leaves the circuit, and turns the power off within 0.03 of a second. This stops the chance of current flowing to earth, through a person and electrocuting them.

While it’s now a legal requirement for all new homes to have safety switches installed, not all older houses do. Safety switches are designed to save lives and do! If a safety switch isn’t installed in your home then you run the risk of you, your family or your pets coming into contact with electricity, which can lead to electrical shock and death.

Safety switches are mandatory on all power and lighting circuits. Installing a safety switch is an inexpensive safety measure that protects your most important assets.

Safety Switches must be installed by a professional, certified electrician and regularly tested to ensure they are working properly.

Safety Tip #4-No DIY Electrical

Do-it-yourself (or DIY) electrical work is dangerous; if you do it wrong it could cause a fire or you could get electrocuted. Most of all, unlicensed electrical work is against the law. Individuals charged guilty can get sentenced for up to two years and fined $100,000. If it’s much beyond changing a light bulb, you will probably need to get a licensed electrician. Don’t be fooled by the array of electrical products you can buy at Bunnings, Masters etc. You don’t need to be licensed to buy them, but you need to be licensed to install most of them.

Safety Tip #5-Proper ventilation of appliances

Electrical appliances commonly heat up when used after a while so you should ensure that there’s enough space between the device and any combustible items.

Safety tip #6- Install smoke alarms

Smoke alarms are life-saving devices. They detect smoke well before any sleeping occupant would and provide critical seconds to implement actions to save life and property. Smoke alarms are designed to detect fire smoke and emit a loud and distinctive sound to alert occupants of potential danger.

If your home does not have a smoke alarm, get one installed. A smoke alarm should be installed on each floor of the property and located outside all bedrooms or resting areas.

If you already have smoke alarms in your home, make sure they’re always in good condition by testing them monthly, changing the batteries every year and replace older smoke alarms, older than 10 years old.