1800 815 278
Call us now!
6/55 Baretta Road,
Ravenhall, VIC 3023

Electrical Safety In Your Home

Safe use of electricity in your home is important for your family’s safety. There are many indoor electrical safety issues adults and children should be cautious about. Everyday we use appliances inside our homes that require electricity to use them such as kettles, toasters, coffee machines, dryers, dishwasher etc.

Energy Safe Victoria outlines these simple tips for keeping electrical appliances and equipment in good working order and making your home safe:

Do Not Use Old or Faulty Appliances

If you find that your appliances are taking longer to work then usual this could be a sign that the appliance has a fault. You should either repalce the appliance with new or contact an authorised repairer. Do not attempt to fix appliances yourself.

To ensure the longjevity of your appliances you should always service appliances in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.This will ensure the appliance will last and will ensure that any warranties stay valid.

Safety Switches

Safety switch installation is your protection against electric shock. A safety switch is designed to prevent injury or death.

Safety Switches monitor the flow of electricity through a circuit. It detects a problem as soon as the current leaves the circuit, and turns the power off within 0.03 of a second. This stops the chance of current flowing to earth, through a person and electrocuting them.

While it’s now a legal requirement for all new homes to have safety switches installed, not all older houses do. Safety switches are designed to save lives and do! If a safety switch isn’t installed in your home then you run the risk of you, your family or your pets coming into contact with electricity, which can lead to electrical shock and death.

Safety switches are mandatory on all power and lighting circuits. Installing a safety switch is an inexpensive safety measure that protects your most important assets.

Safety Switches must be installed by a professional, certified electrician and regularly tested to ensure they are working properly.


If you hear noise coming from your powerpoints, smell burning or see sparking call Electricians on Call to investigate. sparking or burning could mean there is an issue with the wiring.

Do not touch or attempt to repair a loose, cracked or broken power point switch – cover it immediately and arrange for a licensed electrician to replace it

Faulty Leads And Appliances

Old wiring – particularly cloth or rubber coated flex – has no place in your home. Vermin may have chewed through it, or it may have perished to the point of exposing wires. Have it replaced by a licensed electrical contractor.

Electric Heaters

Never dry washing too close to a heater – especially a radiator. The garments can overheat and ignite. Don’t put portable radiators under or near fabrics like curtains or tablecloths

Electric Blankets

Check electric blankets at the start of each winter for damaged wires, plugs, leads and hot spots – dispose of any electric blanket that is damaged. Do not leave electric blankets on for long periods of time and always check to make sure that you have not accidentally switched on your electric blanket when making the bed. Faulty or damaged blankets should be discarded.

Electric Clothes Dryers

Clean the lint filter in your clothes dryer after each use. Failure to do so may create excessive heat build up in the dryer. This can cause the garments inside the dryer to self-combust and start a fire.

Exhaust Fans

Remove any build-up of materials around the electric motor of exhaust fans, such as fluff, dust, lint etc.


Clean rangehood filters regularly.


Clean ovens and coocktops regularly to prevent the build-up of spilled fats and burnt foods.