1800 815 278
Call us now!
6/55 Baretta Road,
Ravenhall, VIC 3023

Warning Signs Your House Has an Electrical Problem

According to Electrician.com.au electrical problems do occur no matter how well you maintain your home. In this post we will explore some of the warning signs you need to watch out for.

Sign #1: Safety switch tripping

A safety switch is designed to prevent injury or death. Safety Switches monitor the flow of electricity through a circuit. It detects a problem as soon as the current leaves the circuit, and turns the power off within 0.03 of a second. This stops the chance of current flowing to earth, through a person and electrocuting them.

If it trips occasionally, the circuit could simply be overloaded, which means too many appliances are drawing too much power. However, if the safety switch keeps tripping there might be a short circuit, which can be caused by broken wires, or when wires touch other wires. When this happens, call a licensed electrician.

Sign #2: Flickering lights

There are a few possibilities if your home’s lights flicker: either the bulb is defective or loose, there’s a connection problem somewhere in the circuit, or there’s something wrong in the fixture itself. To eliminate the possibilities, check if the bulb is loose and replace the bulb with another one that you know is working perfectly fine. But if the flickering persists, it’s time to call an electrician.

Sign #3: Buzzing switches or outlets

When power outlets or switches start buzzing this could mean that there’s a loose connection somewhere in the wiring or the circuit is overloaded.

Sign #5: A burning smell

If you notice a burning smell from any switch or outlet, immediately switch off the power at your home’s breaker panel and call your electrician right away. This could be caused by an overloaded circuit or faulty wiring, which could mean something is already overheating and could cause an electrical fire.

Sign #6: Electrical outlets hot to touch

Another possible sign of an electrical problem is when light switches, power outlets, and connected power cords feel warm to the touch. Make sure you do not switch on the power or use the switch or outlet until the problem has been fixed by the electrician.

Sign #6: Sparks in Sight

The occasional spark that happens when you connect an appliance to an outlet isn’t something to be too concerned about. However, sparks that occur frequently could mean there’s something wrong with the outlet’s circuit. If you’re experiencing this issue, stop using the outlet, switch off the power, and call your electrician at once.

Remember if you notice:

  • Power or lights out
  • Fuses blown or too hot to touch
  • Safety switches tripping
  • Water entering through lighting
  • Insulation on cables melting
  • Loose connections
  • Sparks in sight
  • Alarm Disconnections
  • Switchboard / Fusebox Arcing

Call a licensed electrician straight away!